Monday 2 March 2015

Superfood salad

I have been really focusing on eating healthy this year after having baby.  I have also only recently discovered the superfood quinoa.

I fancied a filling salad this evening so a quick search online and a few tweaks later, I ended up with this yummy recipe below.  It uses four superfoods so there is no guilt whatsoever, but is certainly not lacking in taste.  Trust me - I don't do bland!



Ingredients

Salad
1/3 cup quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
1/4 cucumber chopped
6 cherry tomatoes halved
1/2 avocado cut into pieces
1 small red onion chopped
A small bunch of kale leaves
1 tsp chia seeds
2 tbsp grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Dressing
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small pod garlice minced (or you can use garlic powder)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
Salt
Crushed black pepper


Method

1.  Bring quinoa to a boil with the water.  Once boiling, simmer for about 15 minutes covered until cooked through. 

2.  Steam the kale for about 7 minutes until the leaves are tender. 

3.  In a bowl, place the kale, add the quinoa followed by all the other ingredients except for the cheese.

4. Mix the ingredients for the dressing together.  If you like it less strong, reduce the quantity of mustard. 

5.  Drench salad ingredients with dressing, top with cheddar cheese and give it all a good toss. 

6.  Enjoy your bowl of goodness!  

I promise you, it tastes yum :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Please take a minute and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...