Friday 29 April 2011

Of felt and flowers

I saw this felt dahlia flower in blogland the other day and couldn't wait to make it..... if you want to give it a go, you can find the tutorial here with exact measurements.


Now my version isn't as lovely as the tutorial, but its not bad for a first attempt even if I say so myself. I did use a hot glue gun because it is much quicker and I don't have the patience to sit through waiting for normal fabric glue to dry!!! Me thinks loads of people I know will be getting brooches as pressies this year!!!!

This is what I started off with.



With a little bit of hot glue, I glued the ends of the cut felt together.



Like so to form the petals.


Then I glued a piece of cardboard (measurements in original tutorial link at start of post) with the felt.


And folded over the back of the felt. Don't worry about the messy look.


Because I will cover it with another piece of felt.


Now starting with the largest petals, I hot glued them to the base close together.


This is how it looked with one layer finished.


Then I added the second layer of petals (the mid sized ones)


And finally the smallest petals at the end. The middle wasn't very clean.



So I made a rosette out of a strip of felt and glued it to the centre.



Ta da - you could use it as a brooch or on a hairband or maybe even on a necklace!

I am waiting for my pin backs to arrive so I can use it as a brooch on my jacket!!!!

1 comment:

I love hearing what you have to say! Please take a minute and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...